On This Page…
- Relevant Journal Lists
- International Journals that Specifically Request Submissions on Taiwan
- Taiwan Journals that Consider Book History Articles
- Journal Rankings
- Journal Discoverability and Accessibility
- Current CFPs for Themed Issues
Lists of Journals that publish on Book History (Eastern and Western) or on Taiwanese Literature
- The Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing (SHARP) maintains a list of journals and publishers’ series that publish scholarship on book history. The Society’s journal, Book History, is also keen to include submissions dealing with Taiwan, as well as mainland China.
- The Modern Chinese Literature and Culture Resource Center (the website associated with the Ohio State University’s Modern Chinese Literature and Culture journal and the MCLC LIST) maintains a list of journals that publish work on Chinese and Taiwanese literature, and Asian Studies more generally.
International Journals that Specifically Request Submissions on Taiwan
The MCLC Resource Center lists numerous journals published abroad that specifically request articles on Taiwan/Taiwanese literature, film, history, or culture in their descriptions. All of the journals below, except for Book History, are from the MCLC site:
- The American Journal of Chinese Studies, China: An International Journal (Singapore–in Project MUSE)
- Book History (SHARP)
- The China Journal (Canberra, Australia)
- China Perspectives (Hong Kong)
- The China Quarterly (University of London)
- Crossroads–Studies on the History of Exchange Relations in the East Asian World
- The Journal of Contemporary Chinese Art.
- Stanford Journal of East Asian Affairs
- Taiwan Literature: English Translation Series (UC Santa Barbara)
Taiwan Journals that Consider Book History Articles:
Chinese and Taiwanese Literature:
- Bulletin of Chinese 《國文學報》(NTNU, Chinese and English submissions accepted, open access.)
- Bulletin of the Department of Chinese Literature, National Chengchi University 《政大中文學報》
- Bulletin of the Department of Chinese Literature, National Taiwan University 《臺大中文學報》
- Bulletin of the Institute of Chinese Literature and Philosophy Academia Sinica 《中國文哲研究集刊》
- Bulletin of Taiwanese Literature 《台灣文學學報》
- Chinese Studies 《漢學研究》
- Chung Cheng Chinese Studies 《中正漢學研究》
- Dong Hwa Journal of Chinese Studies 《東華漢學》
- Journal of Chinese Literature of National Cheng Kung University 《成大中文學報》
- Journal of Taiwan Literary Studies 《台灣文學研究學報》
- Journal of the History of Ideas in East Asia 《東亞觀念史集刊》
- Literature and Philosophy 《文與哲》
- Modern Chinese Literature 《中國現代文學》
- Soochow Journal of Chinese Studies 《東吳中文學報》
- Studies in Sinology 《中國學術年刊》
- Tamkang Journal of Chinese Literature《淡江中文學報》
- Tsing Hua Journal of Chinese Studies《清華學報》
Foreign Language Literature / Broader Humanities / Cultural Studies:
- Concentric: Literary and Cultural Studies《同心圓：文學與文化研究》 (mentioned in the MCLC Resource Center, indexed in EBSCOhost, the MLA International Bibliography, PerioPath: An Index to Chinese Periodical Literature, and Scopus) English Department, National Taiwan Normal University. Concentric is now an AHCI journal. (See CFP below.)
- Chung Wai Literary Quarterly《中外文學》 is a Chinese-language journal [with English abstracts] published by National Taiwan University’s Foreign Languages Department that is devoted to literary and cultural studies. It is indexed in MLA Directory of Periodicals, ESCI, and THCI and mentioned at the MCLC Resource Center. All NTU journals are available open access here, or you may go directly to the page for the Chung Wai Literary Quarterly here.
- Ex-position (formerly NTU Studies in Language and Literature《臺大語言與文學研究》, the English journal of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures of National Taiwan University) (indexed in MLA International Bibliography). NTU Studies in Language and Literature is available open-access here.
- Foreign Language Studies《外國語文研究》(See articles here.)
- Fu Jen Studies《輔仁學誌：文學與語言學》
- Review of English and American Literature《英美文學評論》 (a Chinese-language scholarly journal published by the English and American Literature Association of Taiwan [EALA]).
- Studies in the Japanese Language and Literature《日本語日本文學》. (Japanese Language journal at NTU, with English abstracts. Articles are available here.)
- Sun Yat-sen Journal of Humanities《中山人文學報》 is a bilingual English/Chinese journal published twice yearly. Subjects considered include “literature, history, philosophy, linguistics, art, [and] musicology.” It is “indexed in MLA International Bibliography, American Studies Journals, Emerging Sources Citation Index, Taiwan Humanities Citation Index, Airiti Library, Chinese Electronic Periodical Services, Taiwan Periodical Literature System, HyRead Journal, and Taiwan Academic Online (TAO).”
- Tamkang Review《淡江評論》(Tamkang University) PDFs are available here.
- Wenshan Review《文山評論
：文學與文化》, based in the department of English at National Chengchi University (indexed in ESCI, SCOPUS, EBSCOhost, and MLA International Bibliography. (See CFP below.)
History / Anthropology / Archaeology:
- Bulletin of Academia Historica《國史館館刊》(See past issues and submission guidelines.)
- Bulletin of Historical Research《臺灣師大歷史學報》
- Bulletin of the Institute of History and Philology, Academia Sinica《中央研究院歷史語言研究所集刊》
- Bulletin of the Institute of Modern History, Academia Sinica《中央研究院近代史研究所集刊》
- Cheng Kung Journal of Historical Studies《成大歷史學報》
- Journal of History and Anthropology《歷史人類學學刊》
- Historical Inquiry《臺大歷史學報》
- Journal of Archaeology and Anthropology《考古人類學刊》(See articles here.)
- Journal for Legal History Studies《法制史研究》
- Journal of Chinese Studies《中國文化研究所學報》
- The Journal of History, NCCU《國立政治大學歷史學報》(See articles here.)
- Journal of Ming Studies《明代研究》
- New History《新史學》
- Soochow Journal of History《東吳歷史學報》(See articles here.)
- Taiwan Journal of Anthropology《臺灣人類學刊》
- Taiwan Historica《臺灣文獻》
- Taiwan Historical Research《臺灣史研究》
Media and Library Science:
- Journal of Educational Media & Library Science《教育資料與圖書館學》
- Journal of Library and Information Science《圖書館學與資訊科學》
- Journal of Library and Information Science Research《圖書資訊學研究》
- Journal of Library and Information Studies《圖書資訊學刊》
- Journal of InfoLIb and Archives《圖資與檔案學刊》(See articles here.)
- Compilation and Translation Review《編譯論叢》
- The Taipei Chinese Pen《當代台灣文學英譯》“English translations of Taiwan writers”
- Asia Major (Academia Sinica, Taiwan); Chinese Culture, a Quarterly Review
- Dangdai (Con-Temporary) (“Taiwan cultural studies journal”)
- East Asian Studies《東亞研究》
- EurAmerica: A Journal of European and American Studies《歐美研究》
- Humanitas Taiwanica 《臺大文史哲學報》
- Inter-Asia Cultural Studies
- International Journal of Taiwan Studies (Brill Online) This is a new journal with free access until December 31, 2019; it is co-sponsored by Academia Sinica and the European Association of Taiwan Studies)
- Journal of Chinese Ritual, Theatre, and Folklore 《民俗曲藝》
- Mainland China Studies《中國大陸研究》
- The National Palace Museum Research Quarterly《故宮學術季刊》
- Router: A Journal of Cultural Studies《文化研究》
- Taiwan Journal of East Asian Studies《臺灣東亞文明研究學刊》(See articles here.)
- THOUGHT AND WORDS: Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences 《思與言：人文與社會科學期刊》 (See articles here.)
Please use the contact form if you see any errors (e.g., omitted journals that should be included in our list; missing, broken, or incorrect links; journals placed in the incorrect category; journals listed that would never publish on book history topics, etc.) Please also feel free to send information regarding CFPs for your journal.
Many Taiwanese universities prefer that humanities scholars publish in journals that are indexed in the Arts and Humanities Citation Index. See Clarivate Analytics Master Journal list for a searchable list of journals included in the Arts & Humanities Citation Index, the Social Sciences Citation Index, and the Emerging Sources Citation Index.
The journal selection process for AHCI and ESCI is outlined at the Clarivate Analytics Site. Editors interested in including their journal in important indexes might like to read the following articles, “How can I get my journal indexed in a database?” and “Getting your Journal Added to Scholarly Indexes: Advice for Editors.”
In Taiwan, some universities also care about THCI rankings. It is possible to download the most recent list of THCI journals (Taiwan Humanities Citation Index) at MOST’s Research Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences. (The English version is available here.) Please note that in 2017, MOST stopped ranking what were called THCI Core journals. However, in the 2018 rankings, Tier 1 and Tier 2 journals are listed for Chinese literature (17) and foreign literature (6)*, along with rankings for journals devoted to linguistics, history, philosophy, the arts, anthropology and ethnic studies, and sociology.
If THCI is important to your university’s promotion requirements, you may wish to download the files above and to double-check the rankings.
*NTU Studies in Language and Literature has changed its journal title to Ex-position, but its THCI ranking remains the same.
Journal Discoverability and Accessibility
While many Taiwanese universities value index rankings, if your goal is to make sure your research is accessible, discoverable, and read, rankings may matter less than other factors. The AHCI, ESCI, or THCI certifications, while showing that a ranking system approves of a journal’s quality, does not always reflect where scholars in your specific subfield are reading and publishing. Nor do the rankings help scholars find your particular article. You may prefer to consider the following when deciding where to publish:
- When doing research, do you and/or other Taiwanese and foreign scholars make use of the indexes and/or databases where the journal’s articles appear? For instance, for literature scholars, in terms of accessibility, it is often more important that a journal appears in MLA International Bibliography, JSTOR, or Project MUSE than that it appears in an AHCI or THCI journal.
- Do you and other scholars in your field or subfield regularly read articles from this journal?
- How accessible is the journal? Databases like JSTOR or Project MUSE provide a stable url or a doi that can be linked on your university or personal website. Open-access journals allow you to provide links to the full text of your work and to make your work available to scholars who may not have access to JSTOR and Project Muse.
- Does the journal produce themed issues? Provided that the journal is discoverable and accessible, a strong themed issue may make it more likely that scholars will find and read a number of articles on the same topic.
CFPs for Themed Issues
Journals currently calling for papers on themed issues include the following:
NTU’s Ex-position. Feature Topic CFPs are listed on their announcements page. Currently, they are accepting papers on Food: Sacrificial, Sacred, and Secular, with a deadline of November 30, 2020. Another Feature Topic, Measurement by Default, has a deadline of October 31, 2021. General submissions will be considered for a March 31, 2021 deadline, as well as for other deadlines.
The Wenshan Review (See their news page for current CFPs, including Between Body, Soul, Spirit, and Mind: Well-Being, Malady, and Remedy from Antiquity to Early Modernity (Due 28 February 2021) and Literary Women: Global Encounters, Interventions and Innovations, 1750-1830 (Due 31 October 2021)
If you would like us to advertise your Taiwanese journal’s CFP, please contact us.
This page was last updated on 3 Nov. 2020.